Thursday, March 29, 2012

EDI parser

Anybody dealt with EDI parsing/composing?Iiiiiiick!

Which digi-gods did you tick off that you got that kind of an assignment ?!?! Surely you can play the piano down at the cat house until some decent work comes along!

-PatP|||Ooooooooooooooo. Ugh.

Yes I have. Are you trying to compose ANSI EDI or read it? Either way, I used to use a tool from EDIdev (www.edidev.com). Very functional and pluggable. It did not receive a lot of support from my org because it was perceived as too "custom". I think we ended up using a combination of Mercator and GenTran, plus one other tool.

I was very pleased with the EDIdev toolset however. A friend of mine swore that he could achieve the same results with XSL, but that would have required starting at ground zero and I wasn't willing to do that. FrEDI gives you a ready-built ActiveX framework from which to start; just be aware that there's still a lot of work to be done to make it functional.

Feel free to e-mail me if you want more info.

hmscott|||Icky-poo.

I worked on EDI projects for Sterling Commerce (makers of GENTRAN). It was my first intro to EDI, and it was blind-date ugly stuff. I didn't have to parse it, just dealt with the GENTRAN output, but the more I learned about it the more amazed I was that the whole thing worked at all. Kinda like watching sausage being made...|||Ooooooooooooooo. Ugh.

Yes I have. Are you trying to compose ANSI EDI or read it?
hmscott
Actually, bofem (both of them)

First I need to have an X12 intake and put the parsed results into their pathetic db, then I need to take their data that I pre-processed for NSF (Thank Codd!!!!) and create 837P/I to be submitted to Medicaid...

I thought after finishing NSF I'd never have to deal with it again...|||I'll stick by recommendation then.

1. I was able to get quick responses from them when I needed support;
2. It fit in nicely with the COM model we were using;
3. Making calls to the database from within the app was very straightforward;
4. The price was about right ($995 five years ago).

One thing we did to ease matters a bit was to create a "master" EDI database which stored things like delimiters, trading partner info and any other meta-data. Plus, we stored things like sessions, logs and sequence numbers. One or two calls to this database and we were off to the races. If we needed to change things once we hit the integration testing phase (such as flipping the flag from 'test' to 'production', it was a simple change in the database.

Mind you, this was five years ago. There may be lots of better things out there now.

Good luck!

hmscott

----------------------
When the stuff hits the fan, the president asks "where are the carriers?" Everyone else asks, "where are the backups?"

Actually, bofem (both of them)

First I need to have an X12 intake and put the parsed results into their pathetic db, then I need to take their data that I pre-processed for NSF (Thank Codd!!!!) and create 837P/I to be submitted to Medicaid...

I thought after finishing NSF I'd never have to deal with it again...|||After searching for hours, what you recommended still came up to be the only feasible tool, other than BizTalk (the client sent 3 of its guys for training, and they came back to me to actually implement it.)

When working on NSF I designed a db that would hold pre-processed collected info that is ready to be sent. The process was implemented through 1 stored procedure with 3 parameters: date, plan, and test/prod. Later I removed the 3rd because running for the same period/plan would overlay the previous results for as long as the final output is not generated. It still is a very light weight, so running against prod at 10AM does not even reveal itself to the users.

My final choice would probably be to use this EDI parser, which I'd through against NSF-designated db, instead of rewriting the whole thing from scratch.

Thanks hmscott.|||You're welcome. Glad to be of some help for a change!!!sql

No comments:

Post a Comment