Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Easy Start

Hello All, I am trying to get started with SQL programming and don't know
where to begin.
I would like to use Visual Studio.Net and access a "local database". For
example, something simple like a "member database" for a volunteer
organization.
My first concern is how and what to install so I can create tables and
update them. My next concern (will be) how I would distribute or install th
e
program along with whatever SQL engine is used by the end-user.
Is there any documentation available that describes this for someone
starting at the beginning (me) ?
TIA for any help you can provide.
STIPPYz.STIPPYz wrote:
> Hello All, I am trying to get started with SQL programming and don't know
> where to begin.
> I would like to use Visual Studio.Net and access a "local database". For
> example, something simple like a "member database" for a volunteer
> organization.
> My first concern is how and what to install so I can create tables and
> update them. My next concern (will be) how I would distribute or install
the
> program along with whatever SQL engine is used by the end-user.
> Is there any documentation available that describes this for someone
> starting at the beginning (me) ?
> TIA for any help you can provide.
> STIPPYz.
SQL Server Express may suit your requirements. It's available as a free
download and is free to distribute within the terms of the licence:
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/editio...ss/default.mspx
Lots more information is linked from the above page, including all the
technical documentation. If you've never developed databases before
however I suggest you invest in some books or courses.
David Portas
SQL Server MVP
--|||That sounds like exactly what I am looking for !
I have developed database applications using tables in Paradox format and
was programming in Borland C++ Builder, but I am trying to transition to
VS.net and keep stumbling over db issues. Thanks for the link, I'm going to
start working on it right away......... 8-)
STIPPYz
"David Portas" wrote:

> STIPPYz wrote:
> SQL Server Express may suit your requirements. It's available as a free
> download and is free to distribute within the terms of the licence:
> http://www.microsoft.com/sql/editio...ss/default.mspx
> Lots more information is linked from the above page, including all the
> technical documentation. If you've never developed databases before
> however I suggest you invest in some books or courses.
> --
> David Portas
> SQL Server MVP
> --
>

No comments:

Post a Comment