Sunday, February 26, 2012

Dynamic Variables in DTS packages.

Hi,
I have built a DTS package to load a file into the database. I want the
package to be such that it can be run on any database. So, I tried
defining a Global Variable by creating a "Global Variable Task" and
creating a global variable for the "Initial Catalog" Property. But when
I try to run this package from the command line using the dtsrun
utility, the global variable is discarded and data is loaded into the
Database specified when I create the DTS. Is there a way to resolve
this? I also tried assigning it an Environmental Variable instead of
the Global Variable but it didn't work.
Thanks,
KPHi
There is no Global Variables task! Do you have a dynamic properties task to
assign the global variable to the property? Do you have workflow in place to
force the dynamic properties task to execute before the task for which the
properties are changed?
John
"kpraoasp@.yahoo.com" wrote:
> Hi,
> I have built a DTS package to load a file into the database. I want the
> package to be such that it can be run on any database. So, I tried
> defining a Global Variable by creating a "Global Variable Task" and
> creating a global variable for the "Initial Catalog" Property. But when
> I try to run this package from the command line using the dtsrun
> utility, the global variable is discarded and data is loaded into the
> Database specified when I create the DTS. Is there a way to resolve
> this? I also tried assigning it an Environmental Variable instead of
> the Global Variable but it didn't work.
> Thanks,
> KP
>

No comments:

Post a Comment